I have to vent because the most annoying thing happened at the grocery store today. I went on one of my "major" shopping trips so I had 6 large, reusable bags with me. After over an hour of wandering the aisles and filling my cart I went to check out. Our store is usually great about the reusable bags. These particular bags I even purchased at this store. They are pretty ugly and emblazened with the store's not so attractive logo, but they were only $1.00. Honestly, it really is more about saving the environment than making a statement with a $12.00 canvas bag from some snobby, ultra-liberal health food store like, W.... F.....s. Anyway, I digress. As I'm checking out I tell the bagger (a VERY elderly man) to fill the bags as full as possible. I've managed this big of a trip before with 6 bags so I know it can be done. A few moments into the 'scanning of the groceries' it is taking this guy FOREVER to bag them and I have hungry children waiting. So, I help out and don't really pay attention to everything else going on. Well, I pay, begin to leave with my cartfull, and notice that I have several PLASTIC bags piled on top of my cart. Mild annoyance begins to set in. As I begin to load the groceries into my car, my level of annoyance begins to escalate. I lift one of the reusable bags out of the cart and there are 3 items in it! Now, I understand that the bagger didn't want to overload the bags, but he was packing them for ME to carry. Not HIM! I start going through everything and repacking and when it is all said and done I get ALL of my groceries into MY six bags and, in the process, I empty SEVEN plastic bags. This is what the evil plastic bags contained:Bag #1:1 package of cheese
Bag #2: 1 mini-side of pork ribs
Bag #3: 1 cantaloupe
Bag #4: 1 bottle of juice and 1 bottle of creamer
Bag #5: 1 pizza
Bag #6: 1 rotisserie chicken
Bag #7: 1 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk.
Is this not the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard?
Now, you have to understand that it really takes an effort (for me anyway) to get into this new habit of using my reusable bags. First, I have had to find a place to store them when they are not in use. Then, I have to remember to take them with me if I am headed to the store. On top of that, I have to remember to take them into the store with me once I get there. (I certainly hope someone else can relate to this. If not, then I really am losing my mind.) To top it off, I can't count the number of times I have gotten all the way into the store, with two girls in tow, and have turned around to go back to the car and get the bags. Not always an easy task. Ask Hailey about the time it was pouring rain...
Anyway, if someone brings their own bags, suffice it to say that they don't want plastic bags. Cram it in, lay in on the top, put it underneath the cart basket; I'll even buy another bag if I've gone over my bag limit. But please, I'm really trying here...Don't use any more plastic bags.
Geesh!
4 comments:
I was excited to see this post. I am SO with you! I have always hated the number of plastic bags that stores use. It is SO unnecessary! Check-out clerks look at you like you have two heads though when you say, "I don't need a bag."
I really love the grocery bags. I too somethings forget them, but I actually really like the sturdy feel. I have 5, and I just ask that everything go in them.
I feel you pain!! I went and purchased 6 bags and I try hard to keep them in my car for when I shop. This is a real consious effort on my part!! I have experienced a similar situation. Hey, I have even found the new bags to be useful for emptying all the junk that accumulated in my van during the week! One bag does it all! :)
I feel you pain also, but love using them when I remember. I have 4, and fill them to the rim. They hold so much, and so easy to handle. I even showed the cashier yesterday how to hang the canvas bags on the plastic bag holder's hook, when filling them. She was just fumbling all around, trying to load my bags. She was so appreciative that I showed her that, because it look like she was not to happy with me when I asked her to use my bag. I can't believe no one had shown her that before.
I'm loving them though.
Somehow I've shamelessly accumulated about 10 of these bags because I can't seem to remember take them with me to the store. If I put them in the car, then I end up walking and forget that they were in the car. I put them by the door, then I forget to take them in the car! Ugh - you're not crazy. ;) I feel guilty when I get there about the plastic bags, so I buy a couple more of their bags. LOL! If I keep this up, I'll be finding creative decorating ideas usuing my local grocery store's reusable bags as fancy decor!
Post a Comment