
While I was at home visiting, it just so happened that the largest Redneck Gathering west of the Mississippi was happening just down the road in beautiful Mack. CO (and yes, the name really does do it justice). Most people might be more familiar with this gathering by the name of Country Jam. There is another such gathering in Eau Claire, WI later this month. Country Jam has been THE place to be for country fans in the Rocky Mountains for the past 17 years. I had the priviledge of attending the very first. My dad was part the group who initially brought The Jam to good ole Western Colorado. He owned the #1 Country Station at the time so it seemed the right fit. That first year (or maybe the second) my favorite memory was meeting this really nice young gal from Star, MS. Yes, folks, the mid-day (nobody important act) on Thursday afternoon was none other than Faith Hill. If I had known then she would become such a mega superstar I would've asked for her autograph. I haven't been since those first few years, but not much has changed. It's still dusty, 100 degree, fullblown Jack Daniel, Bud Light, Daisy Duke extravaganza. The way to go is to sit in VIP. I know it is so snobby to say, but aside from the great seats and the free food and cocktails, it limits your exposure to those true, die-hard, shirtless, rodeo belt-buckled, Wranglerd drunks in General Admission. Out there, it's say "ya'll" and "SH..." every other word or turn around and run...which is what Gary and I did after a quick stroll through the masses. And mind you, my husband is from Alabama. He can usually hang with the rednecks no problem.
I am saying this all very tongue in cheek. It is really quite a show and we saw some great performances. I mean, I have to admit, I went three out of the four nights...Cowboy hat and all. The first night I was with my mom, then the other nights I went with my sisters and my husband. We had a ball. Rodney Atkins, Collin Raye (hey, I was country when country wasn't cool...Dad, radio staion...you get the idea), Tim McGraw, Josh Turner, Clay Walker, Little Big Town, and Sugarland were the acts that we saw. There were others but being that we do try to be responsible parents, we limited our visits to The Jam to the evenings (besides, it had cooled off to a chilly 93 degrees by then.) Lots of fun though. Thanks, Dad, for the tickets. Maybe next year we'll get a motorhome and camp....well, or not...
(For yet another perspective on this infamous concert blowout visit More and More If Not Less and Less and read his article dated 7/9/08)
No comments:
Post a Comment