Monday, November 30, 2009

Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum...

Last weekend we ventured out to find the perfect tree. Growing up, our family tradition was to join about seven or eight other families in the early morning hours and head up to Glade Park on the Colorado National Monument for a day of tree hunting, snowball fights (if we were lucky enough to have snow in the arid Colorado West) and hot chocolate. Once everyone had tree tied safely to the top of their cars, we would head back down to the Grand Valley for a huge spaghetti dinner at one of the families homes. It was something I looked forward to every year. Of course, when you set out into the unknown to choose your Christmas tree, you have to manage your expectations. Christmas trees are like snowflakes, none are the same, but beauty can be found. Ala, Charlie Brown. Love makes the tree, right. As an adult now, there are certain things I didn't know about the reasons that surrounded the infamous "Tree Sunday" each December. First of all, it wasn't until we lived in New York City did I realize how extraordinarily expensive pre-cut Christmas trees can be. I experienced an entirely new kind of sticker shock that year. And after paying the ridiculous price for a rather lack-luster tree, dragging it down a city sidewalk certainly was not my idea of tradition. So, it has been my goal to begin the Christmas tree hunt tradition with my own small family. Unfortunately, I have had very limited success. In nine Christmas's that Gary and I have been married, we have only been able to successfully chop 1 tree together. Our first Christmas was the NYC sidewalk tree; the next year the honors were done at Stu Leonard's in White Plains, NY while doing our grocery shopping. The two years were followed by a couple trees compliments of King Soopers, and Lowe's. One year we trucked up to Evergreen only to find that the U-Cut tree place was the same place that had trees in the parking lots adjacent to every street corner in Denver. So one year we finally got our act together and headed out to the U-Cut tree farm in the little town just south of us. As I recall, Hailey fell asleep in the car on the way there and managed to "saw logs" of her own accord while Gary and I drove up and row after row of pathetic "plains" pine trees. We found one, paid about $40.00 and had a perfectly petrified tree within about a week.
So this year was going to be our year! I found another U-Cut tree farm south of us again, but a bit further (aka, Colorado Springs). It was going to be perfect. First of all, they had alpacas. And served hot chocolate. And had handmade wreaths. Who could want more? As we arrived we found that what this place lacked was anything worth chopping down and putting in our living room.
Happy to be at our destination, though, we were not deterred.
We were happy tromping around certain we would find that one tree nobody else had spotted.
We did our best to enjoy the llama's, but this was a bit disconcerting...

So we just looked and didn't touch...

Then we proceeded to try to enjoy our experience...
Walking and walking, and looking and looking...
But mostly posing for me while I played with my new camera...
(I know it's hard to look past Hanna, but look at the tree she is standing next to. Really? Really?)
So we paused, and posed, and then...
Found ourselves at the "petrified" Christmas tree farm from a few years prior.
All of these trees will be beautiful in about 40 years when they are finally taller than Hanna...

But tromping we went...and posed more for Mommy...
And enjoyed the view of Pikes Peak...
And looked at the old Model T's that were scattered around the property...
And, overall, everyone remained in a remarkably good mood.
Finally, after three hours and roughly 50 miles of driving a decision was made. We knew where to find the perfect tree...

Victory at last!
(Using our trusty Home Depot credit card, we'll pay no interest for the first six months!)
By the time we got home, unloaded, found the tree stand, and had the prize upright and perfectly placed in the living room...we all took a nap!
Next year, we will pay our $10.00 to the Forest Service, stop off the road on our way home from Vail, and grab a tree. I'm done over thinking this whole tradition thing...

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I laughed when I read/saw the conclusion to this story. Very funny!

My husband's family always chopped down trees. He wants to do it with our kids, but I've always been hesitant because I picture the Griswald's experience.