
Yesterday I had the opportunity to take my 6 year old out for a quick lunch before she went to her rehearsal for an upcoming Children's Theater performance. Out of the blue I get the ever dreaded question:
"Mom, how do you get pregnant?" As I am silently groaning inside I am trying to not blush or appear flustered. Keeping in mind that she is only 6 and certainly on a need to know basis with this subject, I keep my answer fairly safe. "Well, when boys and girls grow up, they fall in love and get married. They love each other very much....." and I am cut off. "No, Mom, I mean after all that love stuff...how do you get pregnant?" Mind you once again, I am talking with my 6 year old who is reading at a 4th grade level. Her favorite TV shows are on the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. At this point I am beginning to think that she could possibly have more information on this subject than I know about.
"Mom, I know that babies start out as tiny little molecules. But what make the molecules grow?" Can you believe this?
"Well, honey, it takes a boy and a girl."
"Oh. So they mate?" Mommy takes a big breath...
"Yes. That's right."
"But what about the molecules?"
"Well, part of the molecules come from the girl and part of them come from the boy. When they get together, then a baby starts growing....Come on and eat...we're going to be late." (I had to get out of this...) Hailey looks out the window for a minute, then something catches her eye on the restaurant TV. She is quiet and I can just see the wheels turning behind her innocent green eyes. I am bracing myself for the next question. And she says, "Mom, can I have some more chocolate milk?"
And off we go to rehearsal. Evidentally, she was satisfied enough with the conversation. I sooo hope so.
I am constantly amazed by this little child of mine. She is much too smart and aware for her mere 6 years although I prefer it over the alternative.
Last night, we had friends for dinner and as they were leaving and saying good-bye, our friend said to Hailey, "Are you going to start 1st grade?" Hailey nodded her head. Our friend continued, "You sure are smart." "Yes," replied Hailey, "I know alot." God Bless her...
7 comments:
Man oh man. Not looking forward to that conversation! It sounds like you handled it well.
okay...seriously? she kills me. way to go, sister!! love her so much...but please keep her away from her cousins. :-) call you later...sheesh!
And she is only six!!! Erin, hold tight to those reins, she will be off and running with you behind her! :) How old are the kids in her theatre group? LOL!!!
Wendy
YIKES! I so hated that conversation with Tucker...not I get to do it all over again with the girls~"major groan"!
Kim
YIKES! I so hated that conversation with Tucker~now I get to do it all over again with the girls..."major groan!".
Kim
Oh wow! I can just feel the warmth rising into your face! You handled it well...she sounds like one smart cookie!
Good job on that one. I tried telling the boys about the falling in love and getting married and then they asked about their cousin who's mommy and daddy aren't married.....oh my that was an interesting conversation!
Post a Comment